Rich and creamy cavatappi mac and cheese with bacon and crunchy bread crumbs.
- 1 pound cavatappi pasta, dry
- ½ pound bacon, diced
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 5 tablespoons butter, unsalted
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons whole grain mustard
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 4 ounces Monterrey Jack cheese, shredded
- 4 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- Pinch of salt, to taste
- Pinch of pepper, to taste
For The Topping
- 2 cups Panko bread crumbs
- ¼ cup butter, unsalted, melted
- Cook the pasta according to the package instructions, drain.
- In a a skillet, add bacon and cook over medium heat for 3-5 minutes. Remove from pan and place in bowl, leaving bacon grease in skillet.
- Add onions to skillet and cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove and add to bowl with bacon.
- Add butter, and stir until melted. Add flour, mustard, garlic seasoning, and cayenne. Stir for 1-2 minutes until mixture thickens.
- Slowly add in milk and chicken stock. Bring to boil, stirring constantly. Reduce hit to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes until mixture is reduced.
- Remove from heat, and stir in cheese, salt and pepper. Stir until cheese is melted and well combined. Add pasta, bacon and onions, stir.
- Transfer to a 9x13'' casserole dish. Combine panko bread crumbs and melted butter in a small bowl. Add bread crumb mixture to the top of the casserole.
- Set oven to broil. Broil for 3-5 minutes, until the bread crumbs are well toasted and the top of the mac and cheese has formed a light crust.
- Cool slightly before serving.