Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 45 mins
Total Time: 1 hour
Yield: 8-10 servings
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1–2 teaspoons cinnamon
- Dash of salt
- About 5 cups thinly sliced apples (peeled and cored), 8-10 medium apples
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces
- Double pie crust
- 1 egg white + 1 tablespoon water
- granulated or chubby sparkling sugar, optional
- Mix first 5 ingredients together in a medium bowl.
- Roll out and place an uncooked pie crust in the bottom of a deep 9-inch pie plate.
- Place the apple mixture in the uncooked pie shell. Place small pieces of butter on top of apple mixture.
- Top with second pie crust, crimp the edges, and then cut a few slits in the top crust to allow steam to vent.
- Mix the egg white and 1 tablespoon of water together in a small bowl and then brush the top with water and sprinkle with sugar before baking.
- Bake at 450 for the first 15 minutes, then reduce the heat to 350 and continue cooking for an additional 30 to 40 minutes, or until the top is golden brown.
- If the edge of the crust starts to brown more quickly than the center, carefully cover the edge with foil for the last 15-20 minutes of baking to prevent over-browning.
- Let the pie cool for 10 minutes before serving. Can be made ahead of time and served at room temperature.